Adorable Turkey Crust Pumpkin Pie
- 2 9? pie crust
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin pie purée
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees.
- Roll out one of the pie crusts to fit slightly larger than a 9? deep dish pie plate.
- Loosely roll the pie crust upon the rolling pin and transfer it to a waiting 9? pie plate.
- Gently unroll the crust and evenly press the crust into the corners and up the sides of the plate.
- Crimp the edge of the crust with your favorite method of decoration.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the sugar cinnamon salt ginger cloves and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs pumpkin puree evaporated milk and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk to thoroughly combine the pie filling so that it’s creamy with no lumps.
- Carefully pour the pie filling into the waiting pie crust in the pie plate.
- Partially bake the pie in a preheated oven for 30-35 minutes.
- While the pie partially bakes roll out the second pie crust.
- Use a small 5? – 6? bowl as the body of the turkey and use a paring knife to carefully cut around the bowl on the crust.
- Using the paring knife cut out a neck and head shape for the turkey along with a small triangle for the beak and also a long skinny piece for the turkey waddle.
- Wet a finger with water and use it to attach the turkey beak and waddle to the head of the turkey.
- Using additional water (as glue) and a spatula transfer the turkey neck and head onto the bottom of the body of the turkey. Use your fingers to re-shape if needed.
- To make the feathers use a small piece of cardboard (from the back of a notepad) and draw out two sizes of feathers (one long and one short).
- Use scissors to cut the feathers from the cardboard and then cut at least 15 feathers (long and short) from the remaining uncut pie dough.
- Gently use the paring knife to add the veins to each feather making sure not to cut through the dough).
- Also use the paring knife to gently and evenly fraction the turkey body to help with the placement of the feathers.
- Remove the partially baked pie from the oven and use a spatula to gently place the turkey body (including the neck head beak and waddle) and on top of the pie right up to the edge.
- Using the water as glue place the feathers one at a time on the body of the turkey overlapping as needed and to your liking.
- Use a toothpick or skewer to add small holes for the turkey’s eyes.
- Return the turkey crust pie back to the oven and continue baking until the center of the pie is set and the turkey crust is lightly golden (approximately 30-40 minutes)
- **NOTE – If your outer pie crust is turning too brown before the turkey is golden cover the outer rim of the pie crust with aluminum foil and continue baking until the pie is set and the turkey is golden.
Base Recipe adapted from this SITE