Best Recipes Rigatoni With Sausage Tomatoes And Zucchini
- 1 lb rigatoni
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 lb Italian sausage (mild sweet or spicy will work)
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 1 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 2 small zucchini diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Handful fresh basil chopped
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add oil to a large wide pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add in the onion and crushed red pepper and cook until the onion is very soft about 10 minutes. Add in the sausage and using a wooden spoon break it into small pieces. Cook until sausage is brown and no pink color remains.
- Add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Stir in the tomato paste.
- Add in the tomatoes and wine (or stock) and season with salt and pepper. Cook stirring occasionally until the tomatoes begin to burst and give off their juices about 10 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to gently press the tomatoes if they re not bursting on their own. Stir in the zucchini and cook for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime add the rigatoni into the boiling water and cook for 9 to 10 minutes or until al dente.
- Drain the pasta reserving a 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Toss the pasta immediately into the pot with the sauce and stir well to combine. Add in some of the reserved cooking water if needed. Finally stir in the basil.
- Remove from heat and divide among serving bowls. Top with cheese and serve at once!
This article and recipe adapted from this site