Dreamy Dark Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 8 oz. high-quality dark chocolate chopped (or dark chocolate chips)
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup Hi-ratio Shortening
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 1/4 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4-8 Tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- Melt the chocolate in a heat-proof glass bowl in the microwave in 30 second intervals until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl with a hand-held mixer beat the butter shortening and salt on medium speed until light and fluffy (about 5-6 minutes). Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Turn the mixer to low and gradually add half of the sugar and all of the cocoa and beat on low speed until just combined. Pour in the cooled melted chocolate and vanilla and mix on medium-low speed until combined.
- Gradually add remaining powdered sugar and mix until combined. Add heavy cream or milk 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Increase mixer speed to medium-high and whip until light and fluffy about 5-7 minutes. Use to frost cakes cupcakes and more!
NOTESStore frosting in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for several months. Before using — allow frosting to come to room temperature then re-whip in a stand mixer adding additional cream or milk until the frosting is smooth and fluffy.Base Recipe adapted from site