Easy Arkansas Possum Pie
INGREDIENTSPECAN SHORTBREAD CRUST
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup pecans chopped
CREAM CHEESE LAYER
- 6 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- grated chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Melt the butter then combine the butter flour brown sugar and pecans by stirring with a fork.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes just until the crust begins to brown around the edges. Remove from oven and cool completely.
CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- In a medium bowl mix the cream cheese powdered sugar and heavy cream using a hand mixer until smooth. Spread over bottom of the cooled pecan pie crust.
- Combine the sugar cocoa powder cornstarch flour and salt in a medium saucepan and whisk well.
- In a separate bowl combine the egg yolks and milk and whisk well then add to the sugar and cocoa powder mixture in the sauce pan whisking to combine.
- Cook over medium heat whisking constantly until pudding begins to thicken and bubble about 7-10 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the butter and vanilla stirring just until the butter is melted and combined. Transfer the chocolate pudding to a shallow bowl and cover with a plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming then refrigerate for 30 minutes to help the filling cool down.
- When the filling has mostly cooled down remove the plastic wrap and stir then spread over the cream cheese layer. Cover the pie with plastic wrap then refrigerate for 4 hours until set.
WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING
- Beat the heavy cream with the powdered sugar and vanilla using a hand mixer until whipped cream forms and holds it s shape when betters are removed. Spread the whipped cream over the top of the chocolate pudding layer and sprinkle with a handful of chopped pecans and chocolate shavings before slicing and serving.
This article and recipe adapted from this site