Easy Ina Garten’s Mustard-roasted Chicken
- 4 bone-in skin-on thighs and 4 bone-in skin-on drumsticks
- ½ cup Dijon mustard
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 4 garlic cloves peeled
- a small handful fresh thyme leaves (if the strands are soft no need to strip the leaves)
- zest of one lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF and place oven rack in the middle of the oven. In a small bowl whisk together the mustard and buttermilk. Place the chicken in a large bowl and pour the mustard-buttermilk mixture overtop. Toss to coat.
- Place the garlic thyme strands (stems if they are soft and all) lemon zest 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons kosher salt (use 1.5 tsp if you are sensitive to salt) and 1 teaspoon pepper (or a few large cracks on the grinder) in a food processor fitted with the steel blade and process until the garlic is finely minced. Add the breadcrumbs and olive oil and pulse a few times to moisten the breadcrumbs. Pour the mixture into a wide shallow bowl or onto a large plate — something with sides is best.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper (for easy clean-up — this is not necessary but I like using parchment.) Dip each piece of chicken skin-side down only into the crumb mixture pressing gently to make the crumbs adhere. Place the chicken on the sheet pan crumb-side up. After one or two pieces have been dipped the crumb mixture might not adhere to the chicken as well. Just use your hands to press the remaining crumbs onto the chicken pieces.
- Bake the chicken for 40 minutes. Check on the chicken. If necessary cook another five minutes or until the crumbs are browned. Let rest 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Serve hot warm or at room temperature.
This article and recipe adapted from this site