Super Easy Saucy French Chicken
- 3 slices bacon diced
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- 6 chicken thighs bone-in/skin-on
- 8 oz button mushrooms quartered
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 6 Tbsp crème fraiche *see notes
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh tarragon leaves or 1 1/2 tsp dried tarragon
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In an oven-safe skillet cook diced bacon until crispy over medium heat. Remove to a small bowl. Remove all but a little of the bacon fat from the pan.
- Add butter and oil to the same pan and heat over medium heat. Add the chicken thighs to the pan skin side down and cook until deep golden. Flip over and brown the other side as well. Remove to a plate.
- If there is a large amount of fat in the pan remove all but a Tablespoon or so. Add the mushrooms and cook stirring regularly over medium-high heat until mushrooms have cooked off their moisture and are starting to brown. Add the diced onion and cook stirring until onions have softened about 2 minutes more. Add the white wine and allow to cook for about 1 minute stirring a bit to loosen any browned bits. Add the chicken stock.
- Return chicken to the pan and place in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Remove skillet from oven and lift chicken pieces to a plate. Place skillet onto the stove-top over medium-high heat. Add the creme fraiche cornstarch/water mixture Dijon mustard and tarragon and cook stirring until sauce is hot and thickened 2-3 minutes. Stir in reserved bacon and then return chicken to the pan. Cook a further few minutes to rewarm chicken and bacon. Serve with mashed potatoes or rice to enjoy the lovely gravy.
This article and recipe adapted from this site