Easy Blackberry Pie Bars Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (12 1/2 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 egg separated
- 2/3 cup milk (actually a little less)
- 1/2 cup cornflakes cereal crushed
- 3 to 4 cups blackberries
- 2/3 cup sugar (more or less depending on sweetness of berries)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon zest (optional)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon water or milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9×13 pan with foil overhanging on the ends so you can easily lift to remove the bars from the pan. Lightly spray the foil with cooking spray.
- Add the flour salt shortening and butter to a large bowl and mix with a pastry blender until it looks like cornmeal with pea-sized and smaller pieces.
- Place the egg yolk in a small liquid measuring cup and lightly beat with a fork. Then add milk to the mixture until it reaches 2/3 cup. Stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions. Lightly cover one portion with plastic wrap or other so it doesn t dry out then roll out the other portion until it is close to 9×13 size or a little smaller. Carefully place the rolled out dough into the prepared pan as the bottom crust gently press it out to cover the bottom of the pan if needed. Spread crushed cornflakes over the bottom crust.
- In a medium bowl gently stir together the blackberries sugar cornstarch and lemon zest (if using). Pour the berry mixture into the pan and spread on top of the cornflakes and crust.
- Roll out the other portion of dough to 9×13 size and place in the pan over the berries. Lightly beat the egg white then brush over the top crust.
- Bake at 350 for 35 to 45 minutes until crust is golden brown.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl whisk together the powdered sugar water or milk and vanilla for the glaze. Pour the glaze over the bars after the bars have cooled a bit. Serve warm at room temperature or refrigerate and serve cold.
This article and recipe adapted from this site